At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident attorney possesses specialized skills, experience, and legal expertise to handle catastrophic injury claims, including cases involving spinal cord damage. If you or a family member has experienced a spinal cord injury in a motorcycle crash, we are here to assist you. Call us at 866-529-2453 or connect with us through our website to schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation with a top Georgia motorcycle accident lawyer.
Spinal Cord Injuries from Motorcycle Accident Require Emergency Medical Care
The spinal cord plays a fundamental role in virtually all aspects of the functioning of the human body. Even a seemingly minor impact to the spinal cord constitutes a catastrophic injury. Unfortunately, many individuals and families have undergone the trauma associated with such injuries. According to data from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), nearly 250,000 Americans are currently living with the aftermath of a spinal cord injury.
A spinal cord injury resulting from a motorcycle crash is life-altering. When the spinal cord is affected, it can lead to the loss of sensation, movement, or both. Seeking emergency medical care immediately after an accident is crucial. Emergency medical care for spinal cord injuries is always tailored to meet the specific needs of the patient and may include measures such as immobilization, oxygen therapy, and surgery. Swift medical attention can enhance the chances of recovery.
The Debilitating Long-Term Impact of Spinal Cord Damage
Spinal cord damage can have long-lasting and profoundly devastating consequences. Injuries to the spinal cord can result in a diminished quality of life, persistent and chronic pain, and even permanent physical disability. Some of the most significant adverse effects of spinal cord injury in a motorcycle accident include:
- Paralysis:Depending on the severity and location of the injury, individuals may experience complete or partial paralysis of the body.
- Chronic Pain:Spinal cord injuries can lead to pain, discomfort, and muscle spasms, significantly impacting a patient’s ability to perform daily tasks and enjoy life.
- Loss of Sensation:Damage to the spinal cord may result in numbness, tingling, or the complete loss of sensation in affected areas of the body.
- Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction:Spinal cord injuries can disrupt normal bladder and bowel control, leading to incontinence or constipation, significantly impacting the quality of life.
- Sexual Dysfunction:Spinal cord damage can result in sexual difficulties, including decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, and fertility issues.
- Mental Health Challenges:The long-term impact of spinal cord damage can lead to depression, anxiety, and feelings of isolation or hopelessness.
An Overview of Motorcycle Accident Liability in Georgia
Motorcycle accidents can have severe consequences for riders, especially if spinal cord damage occurs. Understanding Georgia law is crucial in such cases. Here are three important things to know:
- Fault-Based Motorcycle Accident Standard: Georgia operates under a fault-based system for accidents. This means that the party responsible for causing the accident is liable for the resulting damages. In a motorcycle accident, the at-fault party’s insurance typically covers the medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage of the injured party.
- Comparative Negligence for a Crash: Georgia follows the modified comparative negligence rule, which considers the extent of each party’s fault for the accident. Under this rule, an injured party’s damages may be reduced by their percentage of fault. However, if the injured party is found to be 50 percent or more responsible for the accident, they will be barred from recovering any compensation.
A Two-Year Statute of Limitations: Under Georgia law, O.C.G.A. § 9-3-32, there is a two-year statute of limitations for motorcycle accident injury claims. If you sustained spinal cord damage in a motorcycle crash, you must initiate your claim within two years. Failure to do so could prevent you from bringing a claim at all.
Recovering Compensation for Spinal Cord Damage After a Motorcycle Accident
If you’ve sustained spinal cord damage in a motorcycle crash, obtaining the maximum financial compensation available under the law is crucial. Unfortunately, defendants and insurers often attempt to settle for less, even in cases involving catastrophic injuries like spinal cord damage. Our Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers are here to help victims recover compensation for:
- Property damage;
- Ambulance costs;
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital bills;
- Medical devices;
- Physical therapy;
- Mental health counseling;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Permanent disability; and
- Loss of life enjoyment.
Spinal cord damage claims are frequently complicated due to the severity and enduring nature of the injuries sustained. These cases involve significant long-term medical needs, including ongoing treatment, rehabilitation, and the use of assistive devices, all of which can be challenging to quantify. Spinal cord damage also entails severe pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other non-economic damages.
Spinal Cord Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Motorcyclists face inherent risks, with little built-in protection. A spinal cord injury in a motorcycle crash can result from a high-impact collision, such as a rider being struck by another vehicle, hitting a stationary object, or being thrown off their motorcycle. Factors contributing to a spinal cord injury may include excessive speed, lack of protective gear, road hazards, and adverse weather conditions.
Motorcyclists can take several precautions to minimize the risk of spinal cord injuries. It is essential to wear proper safety gear, including a helmet and a protective back brace. Additionally, motorcyclists should opt for high-visibility clothing and reflective accessories to enhance visibility on the road. Practicing safe riding techniques, maintaining a safe speed, keeping a safe distance from other vehicles, and conducting regular inspections of the motorcycle for any mechanical issues can further contribute to risk reduction.
The long-term consequences of spinal cord injuries can be life-altering. There is no such thing as a minor spinal cord injury. A motorcyclist who sustains spinal cord damage may contend with chronic pain, limited mobility, psychological trauma, or even complete paralysis. These injuries often necessitate extensive rehabilitation, ongoing medical care, and the use of assistive devices such as wheelchairs or braces. In some cases, victims may also confront emotional and psychological challenges.
How Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Spinal Cord Injury Claim
Motorcycle accident claims are inherently complex, especially if you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury like spinal cord damage. At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, we have been advocating for the rights of injured motorcyclists for more than 25 years, focusing exclusively on motorcycle law. When you reach out to our Georgia law firm, you’ll have the opportunity to consult with a motorcycle accident lawyer who can:
- Listen to your story and address questions about your spinal cord injury claim;
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your motorcycle accident, gathering evidence;
- Represent you in settlement negotiations with defendants and insurers; and
- Develop a personalized strategy to help you maximize your spinal cord compensation.
Contact Our Georgia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Today!
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers fight tirelessly to protect the legal rights and financial interests of riders who have sustained spinal cord damage. Give us a phone call at 866-529-2453 or contact us online for a free, completely confidential evaluation of your case. From our Roswell law office, we handle spinal cord damage claims throughout Georgia, including in Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, and Macon.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION WITH OUR GEORGIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER NOW
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident attorneys are passionate, experienced specialists. We have what it takes to help injured motorcyclists get justice after a serious crash.
You do not have to take on the legal system alone. Call us now at 866-529-2453 or contact us online for a free, no commitment review of your case. With law offices in Atlanta and Roswell, we represent motorcycle accident victims throughout all of Georgia.