At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia commercial vehicle motorcycle accident lawyers are ready to advocate for your rights. Injured in a crash? Call us at 866-529-2453 for a free, fully confidential consultation. From our legal office in Roswell, we handle commercial vehicle motorcycle accident claims throughout all of Georgia, including Atlanta, Augusta, Sandy Springs, South Fulton, Brookhaven, Macon, Savannah, Athens, Valdosta, and Peachtree Corners.
All Motorists in Georgia are Required to Stop and Remain at the Scene of a Crash
Under Georgia law (Georgia Code § 40-6-270), all motorists involved in a crash must stop and remain at the scene. The law aims to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone involved, facilitate communication, and enable the exchange of accurate information. Non-compliance may result in serious penalties, including fines, license suspension, or even imprisonment. Adhering to these guidelines contributes to a safer, more responsible driving environment in Georgia.
Hit and Run Collisions are a Serious Problem in Georgia
According to data cited by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, hit-and-runs happen regularly, with over 700,000 reported in the United States each year. Unfortunately, Georgia is no exception to this alarming trend. These incidents endanger lives, hinder investigations, and exacerbate the emotional toll on victims.
What to Do If You are Hurt in a Motorcycle Crash With a Hit and Run Driver
Motorcycle accidents demand serious attention. With limited protections, such accidents result in injuries about 80 percent of the time. For riders involved in a hit-and-run, a challenging and confusing situation unfolds. To navigate it effectively, follow this step-by-step guide:
- Call the Police: Dial 911 immediately to report the hit-and-run. A police report is essential for insurance claims and potential legal action.
- Write Down Everything You Know: Write down all details while they’re fresh in your mind—time, location, the direction of the other vehicle, and any identifying features of the driver. Collect contact information from witnesses.
- Get Medical Care: Get medical attention promptly, even for seemingly minor injuries. Proper documentation is crucial for insurance claims and potential legal action.
- Notify Your Insurer: Contact your insurance company ASAP, reporting the hit-and-run. Provide the police report number and any gathered information. Inform them promptly, as you may have a claim through your policy.
- Contact a Georgia Motorcycle Accident Attorney: Don’t navigate the legal process alone. Consult with a Georgia motorcycle accident attorney experienced in hit-and-run cases. They can help you pursue justice, accountability, and maximum financial compensation for your injuries and damages.
Know Your Options If You are Hurt in a Collision With a Hit and Run Driver
Georgia is a fault-based motor vehicle crash state, which includes motorcycle wrecks. Holding the responsible driver legally liable becomes challenging if they didn’t stop at the scene. However, injured motorcyclists still have legal and financial options:
- Identifying the Hit and Run Driver: Don’t assume the driver can’t be tracked down. Collaborate with law enforcement and your motorcycle accident lawyer to try to identify the hit and run motorist. Partial license plates, witness information, and surveillance footage could be valuable.
- Look to Your Own Insurance Coverage: As a Georgia motorcyclist, your insurance policy may offer protection in a hit and run. Most cases are pursued through uninsured motorist (UM) and/or underinsured motorist (UIM) claims.
- Investigating Contributory Factors: In some cases, other parties may share responsibility. For example, a vehicle manufacturer might be accountable for defective components. Investigate every potential path for recovering compensation.
Georgia case law stipulates that uninsured motorist coverage applies, and is primary, when a phantom driver causes a hit-and-run and either makes: (1) contact with another driver; or (2) an individual witnesses the collision. See Travelers Home & Marine Ins. Co. v. Castellanos, 297 Ga. 174, 773 S.E.2d 184 (2015); Finch v. Doe, 247 Ga. App. 298, 543 S.E.2d 105 (2000).
Every motorcycle accident in Georgia should undergo a careful investigation. This is especially vital in hit and run accident claims. A detail-driven investigation, led by a proactive Georgia motorcycle accident lawyer, can help gather the evidence needed for justice.
We Help Motorcycle Accident Victims Secure the Maximum Financial Compensation
In Georgia, motorcycle accident victims have the right to pursue financial compensation for both economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault party. However, in hit-and-run accident motorcycle injury claims, accessing the full and fair financial compensation can be challenging for victims. Our Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers are committed to helping injured riders and passengers maximize settlement or trial verdicts. You may be able to recover for:
- Motorcycle repairs or replacement;
- Emergency medical care;
- Hospital bills and other health care costs;
- Long-term medical needs;
- Lost wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
Why Injured Motorcyclists Trust Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers for a Hit and Run Claim
Dealing with a serious motorcycle crash is hard—especially when the other driver unlawfully speeds away from the accident. At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our practice exclusively focuses on advocating for motorcycle accident victims. When you reach out to us, you can speak to a Georgia motorcycle accident attorney who can:
- Listen to what you have to say and answer questions about hit-and-run claims.
- Investigate the hit-and-run motorcycle crash, gathering all relevant evidence.
- Work with law enforcement officers and other parties to track down the driver.
- Help you explore every potential path to recover the maximum compensation.
- Take action to protect your rights and interests in the motorcycle accident claim.
Contact Our Georgia Hit & Run Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia hit-and-run motorcycle accident lawyers are aggressive advocates for justice. Injured in a collision? We’re here to help. Reach out to us at 866-529-2453 or contact us online for your free, fully confidential initial legal consultation. With a main office in Roswell, we represent injured motorcyclists throughout Georgia, including Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Marietta, Alpharetta, Peachtree Corners, Sandy Springs, Valdosta, and Athens.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION WITH OUR GEORGIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER NOW
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident attorneys are passionate, experienced specialists. We have what it takes to help injured motorcyclists get justice after a serious crash.
You do not have to take on the legal system alone. Call us now at 866-529-2453 or contact us online for a free, no commitment review of your case. With law offices in Atlanta and Roswell, we represent motorcycle accident victims throughout all of Georgia.