At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident attorneys have the skills, experience, and legal expertise to handle all types of uninsured and underinsured motorist claims. We exclusively focus on motorcycle accident injury claims. If you or your family member was hurt in a motorcycle crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver, our legal team is ready to help. To set up a free, no-obligation consultation with a top-rated Georgia motorcycle injury lawyer, call us at 866-529-2453 or contact us online.
What to Know About the Motor Vehicle Insurance Requirements in Georgia
As stated by the Georgia Department of Revenue, motor vehicle insurance requirements in Georgia mandate that all drivers must carry continuous liability coverage to legally operate a vehicle. This coverage must meet the state’s minimum requirements, which include $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person, $50,000 for bodily injury or death per accident, and $25,000 for property damage. While uninsured motorist coverage is not compulsory, it is recommended for additional protection, especially for motorcyclists. All motorists must be prepared to provide proof of insurance. Failure to comply may result in fines, license suspension, and vehicle impoundment.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists are a Serious Problem
While all drivers in Georgia are required to have minimum mandatory liability insurance coverage, there are significant gaps in the system. According to data cited by the Insurance Information Institute (III), approximately 12.3 percent of motorists in Georgia are uninsured. This substantial number of uninsured drivers can create serious problems for innocent people, including motorcyclists. Knowing how to navigate a UM/UIM claim as an injured motorcyclist is a must, and a lawyer can ensure your rights and interests are protected.
What to Do If Involved in a Motorcycle Crash With an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
Multi-vehicle motorcyclist accidents are not uncommon, and with nearly 1 in 8 drivers in Georgia being uninsured, UM/UIM claims are likely. Involvement in a motorcycle crash with an uninsured or underinsured party can be traumatic, but knowing the steps to take in such a situation can save you time, money, and stress. Here is a list of essential steps to follow if you find yourself in this predicament:
- Prioritize Your Safety: Assess the situation, ensure your safety, and the safety of others involved.If necessary, move away from traffic and turn on hazard lights to signal an emergency.
- Call the Police: Dial 911 immediately to report the accident and request medical assistance if needed. Even in non-emergency situations, all uninsured motorist motorcycle accident claims should be reported to law enforcement in Georgia.
- Seek Medical Attention: If injured, seek medical attention promptly. Visit a healthcare professional to assess and document any injuries, no matter how minor. Keep a record of all medical bills and treatment-related expenses, as these records are crucial for a claim.
- Gather Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other motorist, even if they are uninsured or underinsured. Get their name, contact details, and vehicle information. Take photos of the accident scene and get the details of eyewitnesses.
- Notify Your MotorcycleInsurance Company and all other vehicle insurers of your household : Report the accident to your insurance provider as soon as possible. Inform them about the uninsured/underinsured status of the other motorist and provide the gathered information.
- Consult With a Georgia Motorcycle Accident Attorney: Seek professional guidance and support. A Georgia motorcycle accident lawyer with experience in uninsured and underinsured motorist cases can help you determine the best course of action.
Know Your Options for Pursuing Justice and Compensation After an Uninsured Motorist Crash
What happens after a motorcycle accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver? Typically, you would bring a claim with the at-fault driver’s liability policy. Although uninsured and underinsured motorist motorcycle accident claims are more complicated, injured riders still have options available. Here are three avenues to consider:
- Pursuing the At-Fault Driver: An at-fault driver can still be held personally liable for your damages. However, in practice, doing so is challenging, as uninsured drivers often have limited assets. Nevertheless, it is worth exploring legal action against the driver to recover any possible compensation.
- Your Own Insurance Policy: Always check with your motorcycle insurance policy. It may provide protection in cases where a crash was caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM). A Georgia motorcycle accident lawyer can help you navigate the insurance claims process.
- Negligent Third Parties: Georgia is a comparative negligence state, meaning other parties beyond the at-fault uninsured driver may have contributed to your collision through negligence. For example, a motorcycle manufacturer could be liable if a defect worsened the crash.
Given the complexity and unique challenges of uninsured motorist claims for motorcycle accident victims, thorough investigation is imperative. A prompt and detail-focused investigation can help identify contributing factors, establish liability, and uncover potential negligence. A skilled Georgia motorcycle accident lawyer will help you explore every potential road to recovering the maximum compensation.
Why Injured Motorcyclists Trust Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers for UM/UIM Claims
Motorcycle accident claims are complicated—especially so if you are involved in a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver. At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, we have been fighting for the rights and interests of motorcycle accident victims for nearly three decades. Our legal team knows how to get results. Among other things, our Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers can:
- Hear your story and answer questions about uninsured motorist claims in Georgia;
- Investigate the crash, gathering the evidence needed to prove fault and liability;
- Help you explore every potential path to seek compensation for your damages; and
- Develop a personalized UM/UIM motorcycle accident claims strategy.
Contact Our Georgia Uninsured Motorist Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident lawyers are aggressive, effective advocates for victims and families. Hurt in a motorcycle crash with an uninsured driver? Call us at 866-529-2453 to set up your no cost, no commitment consultation. With a main office in Roswell, we represent motorcyclists in uninsured motorist claims throughout Georgia, including in Atlanta, Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, Peachtree Corners, Augusta, Savannah, Macon, and Athens.
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION WITH OUR GEORGIA MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER NOW
At Lawbike Motorcycle Injury Lawyers, our Georgia motorcycle accident attorneys are passionate, experienced specialists. We have what it takes to help injured motorcyclists get justice after a serious crash.
You do not have to take on the legal system alone. Call us now at 866-529-2453 or contact us online for a free, no commitment review of your case. With law offices in Atlanta and Roswell, we represent motorcycle accident victims throughout all of Georgia.